To help identify Rising Leaders, our selection committee will be using Le Herron’s Key Characteristics & Attributes of an authentic leader. If you know an outstanding young person aged 15 to 17 who are not graduating this academic year, nominate them so they may be considered for the Le Herron Rising Leader Award.
- He who will be first, will be last. A leader recognizes that “its never, never all about me,” but instead, it’s always all about their organization fulfilling its’ mission. Leaders recognize that on their own they are limited by what they can achieve, but by empowering and supporting their team members/associates, the organization can achieve exponentially more.
- An authentic leader is effective not because of the authority of title or office, but by the leader’s ability to inspire others and influence outcomes in a positive way.
- An authentic leader has a clear vision of where they want to take the organization, effectively communicates that vision and actively solicits input on how to refine the vision. After all, you never know when an associate will offer a better idea that enhances the vision.
- Authentic leaders know their purpose (their WHY), not just their how.
- Authentic leaders celebrate organizational success by quickly giving their associates credit for achievements realized.
- When the organization experiences failure or disappointing results, an authentic leader is quick to take responsibility for the shortcoming. Leaders hold themselves as well as their team accountable.
- Authentic leaders recognize that problems are opportunities in disguise.
For each student you nominate, please provide a brief statement in 500 words or less of how the student exemplifies the key attributes of an authentic leader. Please provide specific examples or stories, if possible, to illustrate their ability to inspire, empower and lead. Please use a separate sheet for each nominee. Each applicant is evaluated by our selection committee, who will contact you if your nominee is selected as a finalist. Please email nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recipients of the Le Herron Rising Leader award have the opportunity to select mentors for one-on-one discussions about their experiences. They will also receive letters of encouragement as well as exclusive opportunities to attend professional development events in Union County.